How to get the visa for Australia from UK: Full guideby | May 22, 2023
- 1. Do I need a visa for Australia from UK?
- 2. What is an eVisitor visa for Australia from UK?
- 3. Who is eligible for an online tourist visa Australia from UK?
- 4. How do I apply for a visa for Australia from UK and how long it takes?
- 5. Documents required for the visa for Australia from UK
- 6. Can UK citizens apply for the ETA to Australia?
- 7. Can I work in Australia with an eVisitor Visa?
- 8. Additional information for Australia
If you are a British citizen and are thinking of going on a trip to Australia, you must have the eVisitor visa to enter the country legally. This is a required travel authorisation to visit Australia.
When you travel to the country, you must see at least one of the Australia national parks and reserves such as the Uluru/Kata Tjuta (Ayers Rock and the Olgas) or the Great Barrier Reef and the main cities in Australia such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth.
Do I need a visa for Australia from UK?
All British citizens must have a valid visa for Australia from UK. If your purpose is to stay for a short business or touristic trip, you must get an Australian eVisitor visa.
You can quickly get your visa by applying online and receiving it directly to your email in a matter of a few days. Then your eVisitor visa Australia will be valid for 1 year and allow you as a British passport holder to make multiple visits during this time. You can stay up to 3 months in Australia each time.
What is an eVisitor visa for Australia from UK?
An eVisitor visa for Australia is an eVisa, an electronic visa. The Australian eVisitor visa allows any British passport holder to travel to Australia for tourism, to visit family members and friends, to carry out business trips or to study if they are only staying for 90 days every time they visit Australia.
Who is eligible for an online tourist visa Australia from UK?
Any British passport holder can apply and get an online Australia visa for UK citizens. Your trip must be for these purposes only:
- Visiting family or friends.
- Business trips to, for example, negotiate a contract or attend a conference.
- Transit. If your final destination is not Australia, but need to stop by in the country for a connecting flight for example, you will need the eVisitor visa Australia.
- Short stay for study purposes.
How do I apply for a visa for Australia from UK and how long it takes?
At Visagov.com we always recommend you to get your visa for Australia from UK online. The Australian eVisitor application is the fastest, simplest and easiest way of getting your visa because you can get the permit by only filling in an online form.
The outcome of the process tends to arrive in a matter of 24 hours if there are no additional documents required and you will get it directly in your Email. Moreover, you won’t have to go to any embassy or consulate and you won’t be confronted with any problems such as missing a document.
In Visagov we have experts that are 24/7 available to answer any doubts you have and that will process your application and paperwork in order to avoid you from doing the hard bureaucratic work.
If you want more information about another type of Visa and how to get it, you can check out our guide “How to get a Visa for Australia”.
Documents required for the visa for Australia from UK
If you want to apply for an eVisitor visa Australia, you must fulfil these requirements:
- Having a valid UK Passport. Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay.
- Having no debt to the Australian Government.
- Having no criminal record.
- Fulfilling the health requirements from Australia like vaccines, mental health, physical health, etc.
- Filling in the online form of the eVisitor application.
- Having an email address to send your visa.
- Having a credit or debit card to pay for the fees.
Keep in mind that there are no mandatory vaccines to enter Australia unless you come from a country where there is an endemic disease going on. In that case, you will have to be vaccinated against the specific disease.
It is also worth mentioning that having travel insurance for Australia is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended. The medical costs in Australia are high, and with travel insurance you will have part or most of them covered if needed to have medical assistance.
Can UK citizens apply for the ETA to Australia?
British citizens cannot apply for the ETA for Australia. They are not eligible for the Australia ETA and must get the eVisitor visa Australia. The ETA document, although it is a very similar travel authorisation, is only for those nationals from Canada, the US, Brunei, Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia and Singapore. You can learn more about the differences between an ETA Australia and eVisitor visa for Australia with our guide about ETA vs visa.
Can I work in Australia with an eVisitor Visa?
No, you are not allowed to work in Australia with a tourist visa Australia from UK. It is illegal to take up any sort of paid employment when travelling with an eVisitor Visa Australia. You can partake in business activities such as attending meetings, signing contracts, holding or attending conferences, etc., but you cannot receive any kind of economic remuneration.
Additional information for Australia
Where is the Australian Embassy in the United Kingdom?
High Commission of Australia
Address: Strand, London WC2B 4LA, United Kingdom.
Telephone: +44 20 7379 4334
Where is the British Embassy in Australia?
British High Commission in Australia
Address: High Commission Of Britain, 130 Commonwealth Ave, Yarralumla ACT 2600, Australia.
Telephone: +61 2 6270 6666
What is the time difference between Australia and the UK?
Australia has different time zones, so the time difference will differ depending on where you are going in Australia.
- New South Wales, Victoria, Australian Capital territory and Tasmania are 9 hours ahead of the UK.
- South Australia is 8.5 hours ahead.
- Queensland is 9 hours ahead.
- Northern Territory is 8.5 hours ahead.
- Western Australia is 7 hours ahead.
What is the Australian currency and the exchange rate to British pounds?
The currency in Australia is the Australian dollar. 1 Australian dollar is equivalent to approximately 0.53 British pounds.
You can exchange currencies in banks, hotels and international airports. You can easily pay by card because its use is very extended throughout the country. Nevertheless, we always recommend carrying some cash with you.