Weather in India: What’s the best time to travel to India?by | January 16, 2024
India is one of the top travel destinations in the world. It’s extremely large, it has an ancient culture that’s unique and a huge amount of things to see. The India travel tips usually cover a wide range of topics, amongst them what’s the weather like in your destination.
So, when is the best time to visit India? What events or festivals are worth experiencing while in India? Find out all of this and more.
Weather conditions: What’s the best time of year to visit India?
India is one of the largest countries in the world in terms of size and population, and it has different climatic profiles in each region. Some areas of the country are influenced by factors like the Indian Ocean (to the south) or the Himalayas (to the north), which help increase the differences inside India.
In general, the climate of India is a tropical monsoon, and it presents itself in four distinct seasons:
- Winter: it spans from December to March and it’s the coldest time of the year in India (although it’s still a lot milder than in other countries). Average daily temperatures range from 5ºC at night and early mornings to 20ºC during the day.
- Summer: it starts in April and ends in May. If the winter is mild, the summer isn’t: daily temperatures can easily surpass 30ºC, and even 40ºC. April is the hottest month in southern and western India, and May is the hottest month in the north.
- Monsoon season: it spans from July to September. It hits harder in the South, making it not the best time to travel to India if you wish to explore this area. Northern India, on the other hand, is barely affected by the monsoon season.
- Autumn: it takes place in October and November. It’s widely considered the best time to travel to India because of the mild temperatures, which are great for exploring the things to do in India.
When is the best time to visit India?
The best time to travel to India will depend on the part of the country you wish to visit and the activities you have planned. Here’s the best time to travel to India for each region.
- Delhi: the best time of year to visit India if you want to travel to Delhi is during autumn and winter (from September to March). This is the time of milder temperatures, which can reach 45ºC in the summer, and there’s little rainfall.
- Rajasthan: this region can be visited all year round, but it’s not advised to travel in June. That’s the time of highest temperatures in the state of Rajasthan, which can reach 45ºC.
- South India: the best time to travel to India if you’re staying in the South is between January and July. These months don’t have extreme weather or humidity, which is what you would find the rest of the year.
- North India: the famous Taj Mahal is in Northern India so, if you plan on seeing it, you should travel between May and September. Luckily, this area is close to the Himalaya, so you can expect less-shocking temperatures than in other regions of India.
Best time to travel to India: top festivals and events
The best time of year to visit India is difficult to pin down: there’s so much to see and do! And these festivals are also something to take into account when picking dates for a trip. They’re crucial in Indian culture, extremely popular, colorful and fun.
Goa is the top beach destination within India. If you visit Goa in February, you’ll get the chance to enjoy the Carnaval. Festivities usually include parades in the streets led by King Momo, the king of Carnaval. This festival is also a great opportunity to try the best of the local cuisine.
Holi is the festival of colors, love and Spring in India, and it’s mainly celebrated in Rajasthan (although there are celebrations all over the country). You may have seen pictures of people stained with gulal, a special powder that comes in many different colors and it’s thrown around so everybody ends up covered in it.
This festivity honors Buddha’s birthday, which will take place on May 15th next year. It’s mostly celebrated in Northern India, close to the Himalaya. To see Buddha Purnima celebrated to the fullest, you should visit Buddhist temples.
Diwali is one of the most traditional festivities in India and it takes place in November. It commemorates “the victory of light over darkness, of good over evil”. The festival of lights is celebrated for five or six days, when people put lit candles or oil lamps in their windows to let joy into their homes. It’s associated with different gods in Hinduism, like Lakshmi and Ganesha. It’s possibly the best time of year to visit India for those interested in truly experiencing the culture of the country.
What to pack for a trip to India
Before you visit India, you should check out our packing suggestions to make sure you’re covered for your trip:
- Don’t ever forget your sunscreen: India’s weather runs hot and getting sunburnt could ruin your trip. Even if you don’t travel during the summer, everybody should wear sunscreen everyday.
- Insect repellent: besides being a bother, they can carry diseases. Read our guide about the necessary vaccines for travel to India.
- Medicine for stomach issues and fever.
- Water resistant jacket and shoes in case you’re caught in the rain.